If you’re a hardcore Areaworker, being sat at a desk consistently is energy draining and going for a run may be the last thing on your mind! However, we’ve found a great way to boost your energy levels without ever having to leave your desk.
Believe it or not, simple desk exercises (or deskercises as we like to call them!) can dramatically benefit us all. From improving our blood circulation, reducing stress levels, increasing productivity and focus, decreasing restless energy and improving sleep quality…the list goes on! We’ve picked the best desk exercises for those of you who want to stay fit and healthy but are struggling to find the time.
Here’s a roundup of our top 5 workouts you can do while you’re at your desk:
- Let’s begin with the Arm stretch. As you’re sat down, with your right arm, reach out to your left as far as you can. Use your left elbow to support the right arm. Hold for five seconds before releasing. Repeat 8 – 10 times and then switch arms.
- Now onto the lower half of the body with the glutes clench. Again, as you’re sitting down in your seat, clench your glutes together. Hold them together for 10 seconds and then release. Repeat 8 – 10 times or until you feel that almighty burn!
- This one is for the abs. Stay stationary and sat upright in your chair. While in this position rotate your upper body as far as your body will let you to your left and then to your right. Hold this position for 5 seconds each way and repeat for a few sets.
- Leg lifts. Simply sit down in your chair upright, keep one foot off the floor and raise the other leg straight out in front of you. Make sure it’s parallel with the floor. Hold for five seconds, then lower and repeat with the other leg. Try and repeat this 8-10 times for 3 sets!
- Finally, we have the calve stretch. Sitting upright in your chair slowly tiptoe your feet and hold for 30 seconds. Repeat this 3 times and you will really feel that calf muscle stretch!
So there we have it, five desk exercises that will benefit you in so many ways! Let us know if you’ve given them a go or if there are any others we should add to the list.
Looking for your dream office space where you can stretch your way into a happier and healthier life? Why not join one of our Areaworks spaces? See a full list of all our centres here, and if you want to see the amazing spaces for yourself, book a tour, we’d love to show you around.