In line with World Sleep Day on March 13th, we decided to pull together a few interesting and fun facts you probably didn’t know about sleep. Did you know that…
* 12% of people dream entirely in black and white… are you one them?
* Humans spend 1/3 of their life sleeping.
* Humans are the only mammals that delay sleep.
* Sleep deprivation will kill you more quickly than food deprivation.
* You can survive for 60 days without eating, but people can only live 11 days without sleeping.
* Within 5 minutes of waking up, 50% of your dream is forgotten. After a further 5 minutes, 90% of recollection is gone.
* Pain tolerance is reduced by sleep deprivation.
* Mental health and wellbeing is an area that is significantly impacted by a lack of sleep.
* Sea otters hold hands when they sleep so they don’t drift away from each other.
* Whales and dolphins literally fall half asleep. Each side of their brain takes turns so they can come up for air.
* Women need 1 hour more sleep than men. The reason for this is women are more likely to multitask, meaning their brains work harder and therefore take longer to recover.
* Lack of sleep can cause weight gain.
* Got a problem? Sleep on it! REM sleep is proven to help creative problem-solving.
* Having a regular massage is shown to improve sleep.
* You can’t train yourself to sleep less. Your need for sleep is largely genetic.
* Parents of newborn babies lose 6 months worth of sleep in the first 2 years of their child’s life.
* The perfect nap, according to NASA, lasts for 26 minutes.
* The two moments of the day during which our body tends to nod off more easily are at 2 am and 2 pm (makes sense why an afternoon nap always seems like a good idea!)
If you’re looking for an office space that will have you jumping out of bed in the morning, book a tour of our amazing London coworking spaces. We’d love to show you around and let you see why sleep will be the last thing on your mind when in Areaworks!