Why Sleep is So Important and How to Make the Most Out of it
It’s early in the morning, and you have so much work to do. However, it feels like without your first cup of coffee you’re only half-functioning. And, even then, everything feels a little bit too much and you wish you could just go back to bed! Does this sound familiar?
More often than not, we tend to choose something else over sleep. It’s not like we don’t know the importance and impact sleep has on productivity, but sometimes we feel like we can accomplish more if we cut down on sleep and get another project going.
We don’t want to scare you with all the research out there about how poor sleep affects your health, we want to help you make the most out of your Z’s! A study conducted in the US, by authors from the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine used more than 4000 employees as participants. The results showed that there is significantly worse productivity, performance and safety in the groups with insufficient sleep patterns. Also, it’s just as important to have enough sleep, as it is to do so regularly.
There are so many benefits of healthy sleeping habits! It’s not just productivity in general; it’s faster reaction times, improved memory, better judgment and decision-making, more accuracy, less burnout, smoother creativity flow to name but a few!
So yes, we all need to get more sleep more consistently, but sleep quality is also an important factor. To make the most of the hours you spend in your slumber, your body needs a decent amount of deep sleep. Some tips to help you achieve a better night’s sleep include:
1. Try to turn off your phone. Nowadays it can be very challenging, but in doing so, you are not letting electronics to interfere with your sleep. The blue light makes your body think that it is the daytime.
2. Bed=Sleep! It’s not only about electronics. Your mind should create a strong association with your sleep environment- no work, watching movies or eating in your sleep space!
3. Have a bedtime routine. Similar to the previous point- your mind needs to create positive associations and clues for when it’s time to rest.
4. Have a comfortable environment. Comfort is key when it comes to a good night’s sleep! A dark room, not too hot (or cold), good sheets and mattress- combined this is going to help in having a nice snooze.
5. Find the best sleeping time. The average recommended amount of sleep is around 7.5 hours per night with an hour either way for adults. You shouldn’t be worried if you wake up after 6 hours, or sleep for 8! It’s different for everyone. Find what works for you.
If you want to be more productive, you can come by and have a look at our coworking spaces. We are open from 9 to 6 but don’t worry if you’re a night owl or an early bird. We’ve got you covered! There is an option to have 24-hour access in any of our buildings so you can come to work at the best time for you and get enough of that all-important sleep! Book a tour, we’d love to show you around.